BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The No. 1 seed and top-ranked Alabama males’s basketball crew outscored No. 8 seed Maryland by 17 factors within the second half to cruise to a 73-51 victory Saturday night time within the NCAA Event second spherical. With the win, the Crimson Tide advances to its second Candy 16 look within the final three years and ninth exhibiting in program historical past.
Alabama will meet No. 5 seed San Diego State within the regional semifinal which can be performed Friday in Louisville, Ky. (time and tv can be introduced at a later time).
Enjoying in entrance of a hometown crowd at Legacy Enviornment in Birmingham, Ala., the Crimson Tide (31-5) overcame a gradual begin to take a five-point halftime lead, 28-23. Alabama then used a scorching begin to the second half and went on to outscore Maryland by 17 factors, 45-28, to consequence within the closing rating.
The Tide was led by Jahvon Quinerly’s 22 factors on 9-of-14 taking pictures from the sector and 4-of-6 from past the arc. Brandon Miller collected 19 factors and 7 boards whereas Charles Bediako added 10 factors and 10 rebounds within the win.
The Terrapins (22-13) have been led by Julian Reese’s 15 factors, whereas Jahmir Younger added 12 factors within the loss.
HEAD COACH NATE OATS POSTGAME COMMENTS
“It I might wish to thank town of Birmingham and all people for placing this on. It has been unbelievable to play in entrance of our hometown followers. The prospect to go to the Candy Sixteen. I assumed that was nice for our program, nice for the state of Alabama, nice for town of Birmingham. So simply thank whoever is answerable for bringing the event right here and placing it on. It was good. Thought we had a reasonably good crowd, pro-Alabama crowd tonight. The beginning of the sport wasn’t what we wished. I believe they hit their first 4 subject objectives. We hung in there. Our protection picked up from there. It was an ideal recreation. Trying ahead to taking part in San Diego State up in Louisville. We’ll be able to go Friday.”
- Alabama will make its ninth NCAA Candy 16 look in program historical past and second within the final three years
- Head coach Nate Oats improves to 10-3 (.769) in 13 postseason video games whereas on the helm of the Alabama males’s basketball program
- Oats additionally improved to 4-2 (.667) in six NCAA Event appearances at Alabama, together with a pair of Candy 16 showings
- The 22-point win over the Terrapins matched the Tide’s second-largest NCAA Event win in program historical past
- The Tide’s margin of victory in its two video games in Birmingham was 21.5 factors per contest and together with two of the 5 high margin of victories in this system’s event historical past
- Charles Bediako collected his fifth double-double of the season
- Maryland made its first 4 pictures from the sector to leap out to a 9-2 benefit
- The Crimson Tide held the Terrapins to simply two subject objectives over its subsequent 20 pictures from the ground, and outscored Maryland 24-10 over the stretch to take a 26-19 lead
- Brandon Miller led Alabama with 9 factors, whereas Jahvon Quinerly completed with seven within the opening stanza
- The Tide was restricted to only one made three within the half (1-of-7)
- Maryland by no means acquired any nearer than 5 factors and trailed by as many as 23 over the ultimate 20 minutes of play
- With the rating at 44-35 with 12:36 left to play, the Crimson Tide outscored the Terrapins 29-16 the remainder of the best way
- Jahvon Quinerly hit 6-of-7 pictures from the sector and 3-of-4 from deep on his solution to 15 factors
- Brandon Miller scored 10 whereas knocking down 5 boards
- The Crimson Tide protection restricted Maryland to 11 made subject objectives within the half, all of which got here contained in the three-point line
The Crimson Tide will face the No. 5 seed within the South Area, San Diego State on Friday, March 24
Recreation time and tv can be introduced at a later time.